Saturday 9 April 2016

Beauty Box Journey - Birch Box #1

Birchbox is a monthly subscription box that was created by two friends when they decided how frustrating it was to buy beauty products without trying them first. The company first starting in September 2010 and has become increasingly popular since then. They even launched Birchbox Man a couple of years later which opened the door to a whole new market. Birchbox differs from other beauty boxes because after you have tried their samples, you can purchase the full sized product directly from them and you receive a discount too. They have a reward system which you can gain by referring friends, purchasing full sized products and also by completing surveys. Spending £1 gets you 1 point, and 100 points equal £10. The only bad thing is that your points have a 6 month expiration date so i'm not sure how much you could actually save up to use.



The box was a lot small than I thought it would be - but sometimes good things come in small packages as they say. I had ordered late this month so I didn't get this month's limited edition box design, but to be honest, it didn't disappoint me to receive the standard blue as I actually really like it.  I will definitely reuse the box.

The first thing I noticed and loved, was the little drawstring bag all the products were in. This would be great to use as a wash bag. Plus, that shade of green is my favourite colour!


The first product I got was a sachet of Amika Nourishing Hair Mask. I really like the packing of this especially for it just being a sachet - it really stood out to me. It's probably only enough for me to try this product once and in my opinion I feel that you need to try something at least a couple of times to know if you like it or not. It's a 20ml sample and the full sized product is £19.99 for 250ml.




Next I got the Jelly Pong Pong Lighten Up Brightener. This is a nude coloured crayon that is to be used on your waterline to brighten up your eyes, but can also be used blended into your brow bone to highlight etc. I have had a few of their products before when I previously subscribed to Glossybox and I never liked their products; they always felt cheap and bad quality. Unfortunately, I think this is the same. Even just trying it on my hand, it feels dry and chalky so I don't feel comfortable using it on my eyes. I will try it on my brow bone as a highlight and maybe i'll change my mind but overall i've never been satisfied with anything from this brand.  This usually costs £14.95.


An exciting product in this box was the Birchbox's own brand Arrow and it was their Colour Enhancing Lip Balm. This is a full sized product and i'm really excited to try it as i've read the reviews and all of them are so positive. The lip balm has a formula that uses the PH balance in your lips to create a natural pink colour that suits your complexion. I've used products with this kind of formula in before but only with foundation not lips. I'm excited to try it. The lip balm is £11.00 which is crazy! 




I love the Imperial Leather Foam Burst Soaps, they feel so luxurious in the shower. So when I got the Rituals T'ai Chi Foaming Shower Gel I was excited. This product is usually £8.50 which to me would be a more than I would spent on a shower gel usually, so i'm looking forward to comparing the two to see if I could be persuaded to splash out on this shower gel. I tell you though, I can already smell it and it smells incredible!



My last beauty product is the Korres Milk Proteins 3-in-1 Cleansing Emulsion. I have heard good things of the brand Korres but I have never tried anything from the brand so it will be interesting to try out. I am always searching for new skin care products as i've not found my perfect routine yet. This is £15. 



Lastly, I got two Birchbox Accessories Hair Ties. These aren't really something I would use and i'm glad it didn't take the place of a 5th product or I would have been a little peeved off. I assume this was just a wee extra so i'm happy to have it. 



Overall i'm pretty happy with the box. The size of it didn't impact on the content and I really like the style of it. The brands seem to be good, reputable brands which is the main thing for me. I genuinely think this box was worth the money this month. Excited to receive my next one!

Compare this to my 1st Glossybox and My Little Box!


Thanks for reading!

Lorah x

Catch up with me each day

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts on this post! I will reply to each and everyone of you :) Many thanks x